Thursday, February 28, 2008

Visit to the neurologist

Today the pains are bad - really bad. The frequency and severity of the attacks has increased over the last few days. I can hardly move without triggering an attack. I have found that pushing my finger on my neck at the base of my skull whilst simultaneously pushing my head back and to the left provides some relief. I have done this so much now that my neck is bruised and painful.

I have to go to see the neurologist today.

It is clear that I cannot drive like this, so I send an email to a colleague to drive me there. When he arrives, I slowly and carefully walk down the steps with my head pushed back. Every step causes a spasm. Clearly, vibrations are now triggers. I get into the car and indicate with my hand that I cannot speak. He drives slowly, avoiding the many potholes and bumps, and finally we arrive at the clinic. We make our way slowly to the office.

I whisper my name to the secretary of the neurologist. She gives me a form to fill-in. Even writing with the pen triggers more attacks. I have the feeling that the other people in the waiting room are staring at me as I sit unshaven, unwashed, with my head in a strange position and a miserable expression on my face - but I don't care. We are so strongly conditioned to "appear" in a certain way in public - but this terrible pain strips away all that social conditioning.

Finally I am called in to see the neurologist. He can see that I am in pain when I try to talk and so he couches his questions such that I can answer in single words. He confirms that I am indeed suffering from TN and says that I should have an MRI scan as soon as possible. He prescribes an immediate increase in my dose of tegretol - from 400mgs to 800mgs per day.

The secretary makes the appointment for the MRI for next Monday, March 3rd. Given that the previous person was told that they would have to wait until the following Friday, there was clearly some urgency indicated in my case.

The following video captures how we sufferers feel about trigeminal neuralgia and gives good images of the most used surgical procedure (bit gory - so be warned):

No comments: