Friday, February 15, 2008

Multiple electric shocks

It was mid-November 2007 when I got really scared. I had just checked into a hotel in order to attend some meetings. I carried my suitcase and laptop case up the stairs to my room, bent down to place them on the floor and as I stood up a series of electric shocks hit me. I wasn't touching any part of my face so they seemed to be spontaneous, and what is worse - they wouldn't stop. I cried out in pain and dropped on the bed clutching and pressing my head. After what seemed an eternity, but in reality was probably only a minute, they stopped.

I remained perfectly still on the bed, not daring to breathe or move. I tried to think calm thoughts to slow my racing pulse. Slowly I calmed down and started to breathe again. Then, without me moving at all - another series of electric shocks hit me. I gripped my head tight and tried to calm down. Tears came in my eyes, my nose filled with mucus, but after a minute the pains stopped again. I laid for awhile panting short breaths through my mouth like a dog.

I no longer just felt scared - I felt terror. What if the next series of excruciating pains didn't stop? I was beginning to understand why they call this the "suicide disease". I very carefully got up from the bed and cautiously began walking on the spot and around the room for about 20 minutes (this was something that I had discovered sometimes helped). All the time I was breathing through my mouth and taking care not to bend or look down or up.

I knew that I couldn't go to the meeting later that afternoon. And I had just taken the last half tablet of tegretol. I knew I had to communicate with someone to get help. But I couldn't talk on the telephone and I didn't dare go outside the room. Cautiously I set up my laptop and emailed a friend and colleague, but discovered he wasn't in town. So I emailed the people I was supposed to meet, explaining the situation. They offered to help. Without any real expectation that they would be able to manage it, I asked them to try to get tegretol for me - and within half an hour, they emailed that they had got it and would deliver it to the hotel shortly. Suddenly things were looking brighter.

Then, just as suddenly, I had another electric shock - though not multiple. But this time I realised that it was because I had breathed through my nose. So that was the trigger - breathing through my nose. And the multiple electric shocks were because at the first one I would inhale sharply through my nose, thereby causing a sequence of spasms. Anyway, I got up and started walking around the room - breathing through my mouth - and that eased it. Got to keep walking .......

Now that I knew what the trigger was for this TN episode, I felt a lot happier. Bending down and lifting things with my right hand also seemed to bring it on - but that might have been because when doing those things I breathed through my nose more energetically.

And so this is the reason that I sometimes walk around with tissue stuffed up my right nostril.

2 comments:

Jeannette Bruce said...

I'm having a look at your blog after being diagnosed recently with TN. I love the description of walking around the room during an episode. Sometimes I feel like a crazy person during an episode. My issue is that I am 35 and trying to get pregnant (having issues with that for 2 years now) and so cannot take the meds for it. Well, I could, but then I would have to give up trying to get pregnant. So, I am quite desperate. Yesterday I went for a session of acupuncture and last night I did get about 6 hours sleep. The pain seems to have changed--it's there, but it's different. The acupuncturist seems confident that she can really have an effect, so a few more treatments and I will have a better idea. Just wondering, what sort of experience you have had with the acupuncture? Would like to know... Thank you.

Stewart Marshall said...

Hi goneaussiequilter. Sorry to hear that you have this terrible affliction as well. I understand your desperation. I started this blog as a sort of therapy - felt that a holistic approach to this was needed.

I am not sure if acupuncture helped or not. Was intending to blog about it - still am intending to do so - but a lot has happened in the last week or so that has turned my life upside down. It will be in my blog in the next few days now that I am able to type again.