Sunday, February 24, 2008

The rise and fall of pain relief

I had a whole week of very little pain whilst spending a week with my girlfriend in the USA. Heaven.

Then today, returning home, I came down the steps of the aircraft and onto the tarmac. I took two steps and pow!!! A series of searing pains hit me and wouldn't stop. I just stood there on the tarmac holding my head, pressing the back of kneck, trying all the strategies I had tried before to alleviate the pain. None seemed to work. Tears filled my eyes, my face burned. Airport workers came up to me to try to help. I couldn't speak to them. If only they could see what was happening inside my head. They brought a wheelchair. I slowly shook my head to refuse it. Somehow I felt that sitting down would not help. I felt that sitting in a plane for several hours was a partial cause, as I could feel occasional twinges during the flight. "Must walk" - I thought.

Finally, the spasms stopped. The airport staff insisted that one of them accompany me to immigration - policy I suppose. Slowly we walked in silence to immigration.

After a silent taxi ride, I arrived at my flat - well, not quite. I still had three flights of stairs to negotiate. By this time I had worked out that the attack might have been triggered (somehow) by me carrying my laptop case in my right hand. I now had two cases to carry up these three flights - so I took them one at a time, in my left hand, slowly up to my flat.



No comments: