Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Change of medication

At the end of January 2008, I wondered if I had now developed the "atypical" type as well as the "typical" type of TN. Not only did I get a violent spasm when the trigger was touched (or in some other way activated, e.g., talking and eating) - which is the typical TN - but I also had a continuous dull ache and minor spasms which were not triggered by anything. These latter seemed to be worst when I tried to sleep - hence little sleep at night. And then next day when I yawned, I triggered a typical (violent) spasm - can't win :-)

February 2, 2008 - the attacks were getting more frequent, longer and more severe. I didn't think that the severity of the bolts of lightening could get any worse - but they did. So I went to the doctor again. He took me off tegretol and put me on Lyrica.

Two days later, the attacks were even worse. I called the doctor and he said I should go back on the tegretol. So I decided to leave work to get my tablets. But on the way out of my office I had a bad attack when greeting a colleague in the front office. It lasted for at least a minute after which time I was red, shaking and had tears in my eyes. I had to just sit in the front office for about five minutes. Then I moved to my boss's office to let her know I was going home and had another shorter attack when I tried to speak. So I sat in her office recovering for about five minutes whilst she found the name and address of an acupuncturist. Took me about another hour in my office to recover enough to walk cautiously to my car and drive home.

The next day I went to the acupuncturist.



No comments: