Friday, March 14, 2008

Lists of a few things

I think all TN sufferers learn what to do and what not do in order to avoid getting an attack or to alleviate an attack. We learn this more by personal experience than hard science. And some of the things we try work some of the time, but not all of the time. None the less, we try them anyway - when we get an attack, we run through our complete repertoire of alleviation strategies like conditioned rats, 'coz anything is better than that demonic pain.

The following are not exhaustive lists, but just a few of the things I have tried:

Things I have found helpful to prevent an attack

Besides the usual medications, I have found the following to be helpful, especially in the early stages of the disease:
  • Monotonous exercise, e.g., walking on a treadmill, cycling on a stationary bicycle;
  • Leaning on my opposite elbow to the side which has the pain;
  • Relaxing in a bar;
  • Avoiding carrying heavy items with the hand on the same side as the pain;

Triggers causing an attack

The following have been triggers at various times during my TN:
  • Tip of the nose;
  • Top lip;
  • Teeth;
  • Tongue/inside of mouth;
  • Talking/eating/drinking (connected with previous triggers);
  • Rubbing my nose;
  • Drying my face/head with a towel;
  • Carrying heavy items with the hand on the same side as the pain;
  • Breathing through my nose.

Things I have found helpful during an attack

I have found the following to be helpful during an attack, especially in the early stages of the disease:
  • Immediately stopping whatever I am doing;
  • Dropping whatever I have in my hands;
  • Staying perfectly still;
  • Not breathing;
  • Trying to relax, making sure that I am not clenching my teeth in tension;
  • Pressing with my finger at the base of my skull above the nape of my kneck on the same side as the pain, whilst simultaneously tipping my head backwards.

2 comments:

benmunoz said...

I wanted to pass along a site created to help connect people living with TN.

http://www.livingwithtn.com.

Ben

TERESA THORPE said...

Multiple options are available for the Trigeminal Neuralgia Treatment. Medical treatment includes anticonvulsants such as carbamazipine, oxacarbazepine, clonazepam and gabapentin and antispasmodic agents such as baclofen. These drugs can be given alone or might be given in combination with each other however if medications fails to treat the condition or produce side effects such as fatigue then surgical treatment is recommended the procedures include microvascular decompression in which blood vessels causing problem are relocated or removed and gamma knife radiosurgery in which a focused dose of radiation is used to destroy trigeminal nerve all together at its root.